Friday, September 4, 2009

Sometime in Kuantan during Ramadhan






What is so different about being in Kuantan during the month of ramadhan? It’s the ,ramadhan market’. What one gets here may be different from those gotten in other places.

There is the ‘gearbox soup’, the soup of all the cows joints and cartilages.

There is the ‘pudding raja’, very famous in Pahang State. I do not know much about it but I found that it’s a combination of sun dried ‘pisang emas’ combined with a sort of yellow egg net on top, topped with dates and cherry and eaten with vanilla cream. Just my impression I suppose. But when I mentioned in my groups that I think that its just an ordinary sweet, not really to my taste, I got ‘booed’……… I must have said something wrong.

There is the ‘kueh akok’, sweet cake sort of made of eggs, sugar and flower of some sort beaten together. Very sweet but very delicious.

And in Pahang one cannot do without ‘ikan patin’, a sort of river catfish. And best cooking method is in ‘tempoyak’ (fermented durian flesh). Cooked with the right combination of spices, its an acquired taste. But many people inside and outside Pahanag State like the stuff.

And of course freshly caught ‘ikan kembong’ barbequed.

No comments: