Saturday, September 13, 2008

Is the building safe?

What are the safety precautions in my apartment? I would suppose that since it already has a Certicate of Fitness for occupancy issued by the Kuantan (Malaysia) Municipality, it has already abided by the Malaysian Building Bylaws. To what degree and to what standard I would not really know. I have not seen the Certificate. Anyone ever seen such Certificate?

Just mere observation. There are fire hydrants, that I have seen. But I have not seen a fire hose anywhere, or even any portable fire extinguisher anywhere, or even a fire wagon. Are these necessary by the Bylaws? I do not know. And I am just wondering what does the Bylaws say about fire escapes.

One area which, I suppose is of concern is, is the community safe from thefts and burglaries? We have of course guarded guard hut at the main gate. But cases have been known where intruders climbed up the complex compound fencing. In fact cases have been report on minor theft (burglaries?) in some apartment, not minor really if cameras and laptops are missing. Where do the thieves (burglar?) gain entry? From what I heard, from the windows. I suppose that is to be expected. But we do not want to live in bird cages, where all the windows have iron grills. Maybe in some places these are necessary but I do not believe that these are yet necessary in my apartment complex. And a case had been known where people (a security guard, now sacked) entrusted with an apartment keys have entered the apartment concerned and taken away valuable stuff.

Lets keep our apartment complex safe!


And anyone wanting to write about Kuantan (Pahang, Malaysia) may volunteer to join this blog by providing e-mail address (for approval) for inclusion into "Permission". (Inappropriate article published will be deleted).

No comments: