Friday, August 8, 2008

Museum Tokoh





In Kuantan (Malaysia) you would see a road sign saying "Muzium Tokoh". But in reality you will not be able to know what it is; its actually a sign to show a white washed colonial single storey building where its supposed to be a museum exhibiting photoes and life history and descriptions of those Pahang born personalities who have contributed greatly to Pahang in its development and history. "Tokoh" meaning a person who has contributed greatly (I stand corrected).

But bear with me, you will not easily locate that building because there is no such signage at the building, photo shown. You would think that the building is just another building in the Government Office Complex.

I have visited the museum a couple of times. I must say that its as silent as a graveyard, and there is nothing substantial to see in that buildings other than a few photographs of famous people and things and replica of historical items. There is however a library, not so well maintained and the articles and books not seemed to be properly classified (to me at least). But two things that irked me. Firstly there is a canteen for the public inside the building (when I visited it, but may not be there anymore) and secondly I was not allowed to take photographs of the exhibits. Because of that I am not able to show what they have as exhibits over there in this blog. I have been to the Taiping Museum, and I was allowed to take photographs of the exhibits, the caretaker told me, "You can show the photographs to other people who then may like to visit our museum".






And anyone wanting to write about Kuantan (Pahang, Malaysia) may volunteer to join this blog by providing e-mail address (for approval) for inclusion into "Permission". (Inappropriate article published will be deleted).

No comments: